To show my appreciation for all the amazing things that have happened to me in 2015 I am giving you my grandma’s turkey recipe so that you can share it with those who you care for. Doesn’t it look mouthwatering? I know, I am no food photographer, my business is Fashion, so instead of pretending to be one I just took a snap of how our table looks like during the season.
My Grandma’s Turkey Recipe
Serves: Aprox. 8 people
- 4 kg (8 lb) Turkey
- 2 Heads of Garlic
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 175 ml (3/4 Cup) White Wine
- 175 ml (3/4 Cup) Orange Juice
- 120 ml (1/2 Cup) Lemon Juice
- 60 ml (1/4 Cup) Melted Butter
- If you are using a frozen turkey, thaw the turkey in its bag in the refrigerator for at least two days before baking.
- Make sure that the bird is completely defrosted and that there are no ice crystals anywhere in the bird.
- The day before baking, remove all packaging and the neck and the giblet pack from the cavity.
- Place the turkey, breast side down, in an oven proof roasting tin.
- Mix together the crushed garlic cloves, salt, pepper, wine, the orange and the lemon juice.
- Pour the mix into the roasting tin around the turkey.
- Cover in plastic wrap and put back in the refrigerator.
- Let marinate for at least 12 hours.
- Then turn bird and let marinate in the fridge for the remaining of the time until baking.
- Preheat the oven at 170°C (325°F).
- Remove the turkey from the fridge and take out the plastic wrap.
- Brush the skin of the bird with the melted butter.
- Loosely cover the turkey with foil and place into the centre of the preheated oven.
- Cook for 4 hours.
- Periodically baste the bird with the juices at the bottom of the roasting tin.
- Remove the foil 1 hour before the end of cooking.
- Once is cooked, remove the turkey from the oven and cover with foil.
- Leave to rest for 30 minutes before carving.
Bon Appétit and Happy Holidays 2015!
Do you like what you just read? Subscribe to the weekly blog posts here!